Friends.Family.Everything.

Friends.Family.Everything.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Dance Problems

Just going to give a fair warning that this blog will be a complaint about dance. Feel free to not read this. I just need to get some things off of my chest.

Don't get me wrong, I love to dance. I've been dancing since I was 3 years old, and have been going nonstop. Back then, my dance studio was the only one in our tiny town. It had lots of business and I was learning. Perfection.

But the last few years have been completely different. First, one of the main dance instructors at my studio left and formed her own studio, which also happens to be in our tiny town. This took away a lot of business. After that, our studios have had somewhat of a feud going on. Talk about dance drama.

Another bad difference is the fact that since I was about 10 or 11, I haven't learned a thing. We have one actual teacher in our studio; the rest are "advanced" students who teach classes. Some of them are only 2 years older than me. Another problem is our studio owner. Our studio owner is a complete nut job who doesn't know how to run a business or be kind to people at all. The woman goes to a psychic. I believe that makes the point clear.

This is my 4th year of being on the dance team. It is very unorganized. This year I just don't even want to go to dance or even compete. The only thing holding me back is my amazing friends that I've danced with forever, my dance teacher that I love, and the fact that since I've been going to this studio and haven't learned as much as I should, every place I go it is going to be very challenging for me to keep up. I don't really want to be labeled as the "slow dancer." But I know that it's important to get better, and at some point you will be on the bottom.

So this is it. Next year I am going to take my dancing to the next level and find a new studio with tougher criteria, organization, and just a place where I can learn. I want to be the best that I can be, and I'm not going to improve if I stay here. It's tough to leave the studio and people that you've danced with all your life. But I know I need to do it, and honestly, I can't wait until this dance season is over.

So bye bye current dance studio. See you in the rear view mirror.

2 comments:

  1. If anyone knows where you're coming from, it's me. Here's what I recommend. Ask as many question as you can between now and the recital. Miss S and Beth probably have the answers, they just don't think to share them. Even if the questions aren't relevant to what you're doing, knowledge is knowledge. Don't let the others distract you, either. Get into class on time and if people are fooling around, just stretch or something. I'm glad you're going to take it up a notch. Being at the bottom isn't a bad thing. If you find the right studio you're going to enjoy it, no matter what level you're at. If you have any questions about studios, I pretty much have insight to them all, so ask away, I'm happy to help. Love you! Also, check out my blog, I put a challenge for you on there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren I just read your blog about dance. I know you have been struggling with this decision and I am so glad you are going to challenge yourself in a different studio. You won't be on the bottom for long.I am so proud of you.
    Grandmother

    ReplyDelete